GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD AT SAN DIEGO GULLSJan 8, 2020
Iowa Wild (20-12-2-2; 44 pts.) at San Diego Gulls (12-14-2-2; 28 pts.)
Iowa heads out to California for a four-game road trip, starting with a game against the San Diego Gulls Wednesday night. The contest will be the first of four meetings between the two clubs. Iowa currently sits in second place in the Central Division with 44 points while San Diego is in sixth place in the Pacific Division with 28 points.
The Wild’s power-play continued to be red-hot as two power-play goals guided Iowa to a 5-1 victory against the Chicago Wolves on Jan. 4. Forwards Luke Johnson and Gerry Mayhew both recorded two tallies in the contest and forward Connor Dewar added an empty-net goal. Goaltender Mat Robson earned his first start since Dec. 14 and stopped 32 of 33 shots in the victory.
- Forward Gerry Mayhew is currently riding an eight-game point streak, tied for the longest in the AHL, and has earned 15 points (9g, 6a), during that stretch.
- Forward Sam Anas has nine points (1g, 8a) since Dec. 31 and 15 points (3g, 12a) since Dec. 18, both of which rank first in the AHL and earned him CCM/AHL Player of the Week on Jan. 6.
- Iowa’s power play is 9-for-12 in its last three games and since Dec. 27, the man advantage is 12-for-20, moving from 21st (15.5 percent) to 8th (20.9 percent) in the AHL.
- Iowa has three players ranking in the top four for power-play assists (Sam Anas – 1st, Kyle Rau – 3rd, Brennan Menell – 4th).
- Goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen and defenseman Matt Bartkowski were recalled to Minnesota on Jan. 7.
- San Diego fell to the Bakersfield Condors in the shootout by a score of 2-1 Saturday night.
- Forward Chris Mueller leads the Gulls with 23 points (11g, 12a), all of which came with the Syracuse Crunch before being traded on Dec. 31.
- Goaltender Anthony Stolarz ranks third among AHL goaltenders in saves with 668.
The Iowa Wild 2019-20 regular season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.