GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD vs. CHICAGO WOLVESDec 31, 2018
Iowa Wild (17-8-4-3; 41 pts.) vs. Chicago Wolves (20-9-3-1, 44 pts.)
Iowa and Chicago battle at Wells Fargo Arena in a matchup between the top two teams in the Central Division Monday afternoon. Chicago is in first place with 44 points and Iowa sits in second with 41 points. The game marks the end of a season-long five game homestand for the Wild, during which the team has earned six of a possible eight points.
The Wild earned its third win in its last four games with a 3-1 victory against the Milwaukee Admirals Saturday night. Fresh off an assignment from Minnesota, forward Joel Eriksson Ek recorded two goals, with forward Matt Read potting his seventh of the season. Goaltender Andrew Hammond stopped 30 of 31 shots for his eighth win of the season.
- Entering today, Iowa posted a 35-25-8-7 record during the 2018 calendar year, good for 85 points. The 35 wins (21 of which came at home) and 85 points are all franchise records.
- Forward Joel Eriksson Ek has recorded a point in each of his last five AHL games and has posted 11 points (6g, 5a) in 10 career games in the American League.
- Defenseman Carson Soucy is playing in his 100th professional game today.
- Minnesota recalled defenseman Matt Bartkowski on Dec. 29, where he scored in his Wild debut.
- If the Wild win in regulation against the Wolves, Coach Tim Army will be the bench boss for the Central Division at the All-Star Classic.
- Chicago defeated the Rockford IceHogs by a score of 2-1 in overtime on Dec. 29.
- Chicago is led by forward Daniel Carr, who has 40 points (17g, 23a) in 27 games.
- Chicago currently has an 11-game point streak, going 10-0-1-0 during that stretch, which stands as the longest active streak in the AHL.
- The Wolves’ T.J. Tynan, Brandon Pirri and Daniel Carr lead the AHL in assists with 25, 24 and 23, respectively.
The Iowa Wild 2018-19 season is presented by Mercy Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.