GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD vs. GRAND RAPIDS GRIFFINSMar 26, 2019
Iowa Wild (34-21-7-5; 80 pts.) vs. Grand Rapids Griffins (37-19-6-4; 84 pts.)
Iowa Wild and Grand Rapids meet in the middle of a heated playoff race between the two teams, both fighting for home ice in the first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs. Iowa heads into the contest in third place in the Central Division with 80 points, while Grand Rapids is in second with 84. Iowa has earned points in all four contests against Grand Rapids so far this season, going 3-0-1-0.
The Wild suffered a 4-3 loss at the hands of the Stockton Heat, with Curtis Lazar scoring the game-winner with 53 seconds remaining in regulation. Forwards Will Bitten, Dmitry Sokolov and Kyle Rau potted goals for the Wild, while goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen stopped 41 of 45 shots in the game.
- Forward Kyle Rau became just the second player in Wild history to reach the 25-goal plateau when he netted a tally against Stockton on Sunday.
- Rau heads into Tuesday’s game on a nine-game point streak at Wells Fargo Arena, the second-longest active streak in the league, and he’s notched 18 points (10g, 8a) since his streak started on Jan. 14.
- Forward Gerry Mayhew has back-to-back multi-assist games and has eight points (2g, 6a) in his last five games, the third-most in the league during that stretch.
- Iowa is just one of three teams in the AHL to have four rookies with 10-plus goals this season.
- The Wild have the most home games remaining of any team in the AHL.
- Grand Rapids defeated the San Antonio Rampage by a score of 3-1 Sunday afternoon.
- Forward Chris Terry paces the Griffins with 58 points (27g, 31a) in 60 games this season.
- Goaltender Patrik Rybar leads the AHL with his 2.25 goals against average.
- Detroit reassigned defenseman Brian Lashoff to Grand Rapids on March 25.
The Iowa Wild 2018-19 season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.