CALDER CUP PLAYOFFS GAME 1 PREVIEW - IOWA WILD VS. MILWAUKEE ADMIRALSApr 21, 2019
Iowa Wild (37-26-8-5; 87 pts.) vs. Milwaukee Admirals (36-24-14-2; 88 pts.)
Central Division Semifinal, Game 1
For the first time in franchise history, the Wild are in the Calder Cup Playoffs. After clinching third place in the Central Division in Game 76, the Wild matchup against the Milwaukee Admirals for the best-of-five series. Iowa will host Games 1 and 2 before traveling up to Milwaukee for Games 3-5. During the regular season, Iowa earned a 4-1-0-1 record against the Admirals, including a 3-0-0-0 mark at Wells Fargo Arena.
The Wild shutout the Rockford IceHogs for the fourth time this season, blanking them in a 3-0 victory on April 13. Forwards Mason Shaw, Gerry Mayhew and Will Bitten all recorded goals in the contest, with Mayhew’s setting a franchise record for tallies in a single season with 27. Goaltender Andrew Hammond stopped all 25 shots, his third shutout this season.
- Iowa set or tied more than 80 franchise records in the 2018-19 campaign.
- Forward Cal O’Reilly finished the season with 67 points, the most in a year for him since the 2008-09 season with Milwaukee.
- Forward Kyle Rau paced the entire AHL with 17 power-play goals.
- Iowa has outscored the Admirals 12-1 at Wells Fargo Arena this season.
- Milwaukee defeated the Rockford IceHogs by a score of 3-2 on April 14 to clinch second place in the Central Division.
- Forward Adam Helewka leads the Admirals with 50 points (21g, 29a) in 65 games split between Milwaukee and Tucson.
- Milwaukee closed out the season on a 14-game point streak (11-0-2-1), the longest point streak heading into the playoffs since Norfolk’s 28-game win streak in 2011-12.
- Milwaukee’s 18-11-8-1 road record is the second-best in the AHL.
The Iowa Wild 2018-19 season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.