GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD vs. BAKERSFIELD CONDORSFeb 1, 2019
Iowa Wild (24-14-4-3; 55 pts.) vs. Bakersfield Condors (24-15-2-1, 51 pts.)
After an impressive showing at the AHL All-Star Classic by head coach Tim Army, goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen and forward Cal O’Reilly, the Wild heads to California for a three-game road trip. First up is a contest against the Bakersfield Condors, against who the Wild have a 0-1-1-0 record this season. The Wild are in second in the Central Division with 55 points, while the Condors are in second place in the Pacific with 51 points.
In the final game before the All-Star break, the Wild fell to the Rockford IceHogs by a score of 3-1. Defenseman Louie Belpedio was the only Wild player to score, while Kahkonen stopped 26 of 28 shots. The loss snapped a three-game winning streak for the Wild.
- Bakersfield is just one of two teams the Wild has failed to earn a win against this season.
- Goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen became the first Wild player ever to receive an honor at the AHL All-Star Classic when he was named the CCM Top Goaltender at the Skills Competition.
- Iowa’s 60 third period goals lead the AHL.
- Minnesota traded defenseman Ryan Murphy to New Jersey in exchange for defenseman Michael Kapla on Jan. 30.
- Bakersfield defeated the Tucson Roadrunners by a score of 3-1 on Jan. 26.
- Rookie forward Tyler Benson leads the Condors with 34 points (5g, 29a) in 42 games.
- Bakersfield currently has an eight-game win streak, the longest such streak in the AHL this season, and has outscored opponents 36-17 in those games.
- Forward Joe Gambardella was named the CCM/AHL Player of the Week on Jan. 28.
The Iowa Wild 2018-19 season is presented by Mercy Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.