GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD vs. CHICAGO WOLVESJan 2, 2019
Iowa Wild (18-8-4-3; 43 pts.) vs. Chicago Wolves (20-10-3-1, 44 pts.)
In the first game of 2019 for both teams, Iowa and Chicago face off in the second game of a back-to-back with first place on the line. Chicago is currently in first place in the Central Division with 44 points, while Iowa is just one point behind with 43 points.
The Wild extended its winning streak to three games as it closed out a five-game homestand with a 3-1 victory against the Chicago Wolves. Forwards Colton Beck, Joel Eriksson Ek and Landon Ferraro all potted goals for Iowa, while goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen stopped 20 of 21 shots in the win.
- Forward Joel Eriksson Ek has recorded a point in each of his last six AHL games and has posted 12 points (7g, 5a) in 11 career games in the American League.
- Wild Head Coach Tim Army will be behind the bench for the Central Division All-Stars at the All-Star Classic in January thanks to the team’s 3-1 win Monday.
- Defenseman Brennan Menell played in his 100th AHL game against Chicago on Dec. 31.
- Forward Colton Beck’s 10 goals this season ties a career-high while playing in 39 fewer games.
- Chicago’s 11-game point streak was snapped by the Wild on Dec. 31.
- Monday’s contest marked the first game all season the Wolves failed to score two or more goals in a game.
- Chicago leads the AHL in goals scored with 129.
- The Wolves’ Daniel Carr, Zach Whitecloud and Gage Quinney lead the AHL in plus-minus with a plus-24, plus-21 and plus-20, respectively.
The Iowa Wild 2018-19 season is presented by Mercy Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.