GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD VS. GRAND RAPIDS GRIFFINSDec 8, 2018
Iowa Wild (13-5-4-2; 32 pts.) vs. Grand Rapids Griffins (14-7-1-2, 31 pts.)
Iowa Wild finishes up a three-game homestand with a Saturday night contest against the Grand Rapids Griffins. The meeting will be the third in the season series between the two teams, with Iowa holding a 1-0-1-0 record against Grand Rapids. Iowa currently sits in first place in the Central Division with 32 points while Grand Rapids is in second with 31.
In a back-and-forth affair, the Wild and Chicago Wolves traded goals until ultimately the visitors skated away with a 5-4 victory in Iowa’s annual Teddy Bear Toss game. Forward Colton Beck notched the teddy bear goal and forward Mitch McLain recorded his first multi-goal effort in the contest. Forward Gerry Fitzgerald scored the other tally for Iowa.
- Forward Gerry Fitzgerald is tied for third-most in goals scored by a rookie in the AHL with nine.
- Seven of Fitzgerald’s nine goals have come at Wells Fargo Arena.
- Iowa is one of seven organizations to have at least two rookies in the top five in scoring on the team.
- The Wild is one of two teams to sport a top-10 power play and penalty kill at home (other: Bakersfield).
- Iowa is 5-1-1-0 in the second game of a back-to-back this season.
- Grand Rapids fell to the Rockford IceHogs by a score of 3-2 in overtime Friday night.
- The Griffins are led by forward Chris Terry, who has 24 points (15g, 9a) in 24 games.
- Grand Rapids is currently riding a nine-game point streak, going 7-0-1-1 during that stretch.
- The Griffins have won its last five games in the second night of a back-to-back.
The Iowa Wild 2018-19 season is presented by Mercy Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.