GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD vs. GRAND RAPIDS GRIFFINSMar 8, 2019
Iowa Wild (30-17-7-5; 72 pts.) vs. Grand Rapids Griffins (32-17-5-4; 73 pts.)
Iowa heads into a critical weekend as the team takes on the Grand Rapids Griffins on the road Friday night. The two teams are separated by just one point in the Central Division, with Grand Rapids tied for first place and Iowa in third. This season, Iowa is 2-0-1-0 this season against the Griffins, including a 3-2 win in the shootout at Van Andel Arena on Nov. 2.
The Wild defeated the Ontario Reign by a score of 5-4 on March 3 to close out a 3-in-3 and a four-game road trip in California. Defenseman Brennan Menell registered a team-record five assists, earning helpers on goals by forwards Gerry Mayhew, Sam Anas, Cal O’Reilly and Dmitry Sokolov. Goaltender Andrew Hammond earned his second consecutive win, stopping 33 of 37 shots.
- The Wild’s win on March 3 marked the fastest to 30 victories in team history.
- Michigan native Gerry Mayhew has nine points (7g, 2a) in 11 career games against the Griffins.
- Iowa is one of six AHL teams with multiple skaters with 30-plus assists (Cal O’Reilly and Brennan Menell).
- O’Reilly skated in his 650th AHL game on March 3 vs. Ontario.
- The Wild’s power play is producing at a 53.8 percent clip in its last three games.
- Grand Rapids defeated the Texas Stars by a score of 5-2 on Wednesday.
- Forward Chris Terry leads the Griffins with 52 points (26g, 26a) in 52 games this season.
- Grand Rapids’ 22 home wins and 49 home points both lead the AHL.
- Detroit recalled forward Christoffer Ehn from Grand Rapids on March 7.
The Iowa Wild 2018-19 season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.