GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD VS. MANITOBA MOOSE 10.7.18Oct 7, 2018
Iowa Wild continues opening weekend with a Sunday matinee against the Manitoba Moose at Wells Fargo Arena. Today’s game marks the last time these two teams will meet in Des Moines for the 2018-19 season. The Wild is looking to earn back-to-back wins to start the season for the first time in franchise history.
Head Coach Tim Army earned his first victory behind the Iowa bench, as the Wild defeated the Moose 4-1 in front of more than 9,200 fans at Wells Fargo Arena Friday evening. Forward Gerry Fitzgerald scored the first goal of the 2018-19 season, with defenseman Ryan Murphy recording the first multi-point outing with a goal and an assist. Forwards Landon Ferraro and Kyle Rau also tallied goals in the contest.
- Forwards Mike Liambas and Matt Read, defensemen Eric Martinsson and Matt Bartkowski and goaltender Andrew Hammond made their Iowa Wild debuts Friday night against Manitoba.
- With Friday’s win, Iowa has three consecutive victories against the Moose.
- Forward Sam Anas leads Iowa in points against Manitoba, with 13 points (5g, 8a) in 13 games.
- Goaltender Andrew Hammond ranks fifth in the AHL in goaltending with a 1.00 goals against average and a .955 save percentage.
- Manitoba lost its season opener for the third time in four seasons.
- Defenseman Logan Stanley made his professional debut Friday evening, while forward Skyler McKenzie played in his first regular season AHL game.
- Forward Seth Griffith played in his 250th AHL game Friday night.
- Manitoba assigned Mikhail Berdin to Jacksonville Saturday.
The Iowa Wild 2018-19 season is presented by Mercy Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.