GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD VS. ONTARIO REIGNNov 9, 2019
Iowa Wild (7-2-2-1; 17 pts.) vs. Ontario Reign (7-3-2-0; 16 pts.)
Iowa faces off against the Ontario Reign in a two-game series at Wells Fargo Arena, continuing a stretch of three games in four days for the Wild. Iowa maintains a hold on first place in the Central Division with 17 points while the Reign are third in the Pacific with 16 points. Iowa is 3-3-1-1 all-time against the Reign, including a 2-1-0-1 record in Des Moines.
The Wild were shut out for the first time since April 3, 2018 on Thursday as the Wolves earned a 3-0 victory. Goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen saw his six-game win streak snapped as he made 12 saves on 14 shots. The loss served as the first defeat in regulation to a Central Division opponent.
- Iowa’s 15 shots allowed were the fewest in a contest since Feb. 17, 2018, when the team allowed 13, also to the Chicago Wolves.
- Goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen has six wins on the season, trailing only Ontario goaltender and Iowa native Cal Peterson.
- The Wild are the only team with multiple defensemen to have more than 30 shots this season (Brennan Menell and Louie Belpedio).
- Iowa’s 143 shots in the third period are the most by any team in that frame.
- Ontario defeated the Colorado Eagles by a score of 4-0 on Wednesday.
- Forward Martin Frk leads the team with 11 points (7g, 4a) in 12 games this season.
- Ontario leads the AHL in penalty minutes with 248 and averages 20.67 per game, also tops in the league.
- Goaltender Cal Peterson leads the AHL in wins (7), minutes (707:50) and saves (388).
The Iowa Wild 2019-20 regular season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.