GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD vs. ROCKFORD ICEHOGSOct 4, 2019
Iowa Wild (0-0-0-0; 0 pts.) vs. Rockford IceHogs (0-0-0-0; 0 pts.)
Iowa Wild welcomes the Rockford IceHogs to Wells Fargo Arena for the 2019-20 season opener for both clubs. Last year, the Wild finished third in the Central Division with 87 points, while the IceHogs placed seventh with 80 points. The Wild’s third-place finish was the best in team history and marked the first time the organization had made the Calder Cup Playoffs.
The Wild fell to the Manitoba Moose in the second of two preseason games at Ralph Engelstad Arena at the University of North Dakota by a score of 3-1 on Sept. 28. Goaltender Mat Robson started the game and stopped 17 of 19 shots in the loss. The game also served as a homecoming for defenseman Keaton Thompson and forward Luke Johnson, both of whom played at North Dakota in college.
- Friday’s contest marks the fifth consecutive season the Wild have opened the season at Wells Fargo Arena.
- Iowa’s roster features 14 players who played for the Wild last season.
- Forward Gerry Mayhew’s franchise record 27 goals and career-high 60 points earned him an NHL contract during the Calder Cup Playoffs last season.
- The Wild hired Alex Tanguay as an assistant coach during the offseason. Tanguay spent 11 seasons in the NHL, amassing more than 800 points in more than 1,000 games.
- Rockford opens up its season on the road for the fifth consecutive season.
- Forward Dylan Sikura is Rockford’s leading returning scorer, notching 35 points (17g, 18a) in 46 games last season.
- Forward Kris Versteeg will play in his first AHL contest since the 2007-08 season.
- Versteeg was named captain by the IceHogs, the first for the team since 2015-16.
The Iowa Wild 2019-20 regular season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.