GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD vs. SAN ANTONIO RAMPAGEFeb 9, 2019
Iowa Wild (26-16-4-3; 59 pts.) vs. San Antonio Rampage (23-21-3-0; 49 pts.)
Iowa faces off against the San Antonio Rampage in the team’s annual Pink in the Rink game to benefit breast cancer research and awareness. The Wild head into the game just two points shy of first place in the Central Division with 59, while the Rampage is in seventh with 49. Tonight’s meeting will be the fifth of eight in the season series, with Iowa holding a 1-3-0-1 record against San Antonio.
The Wild fought back from multiple two-goal deficits to skate away with a 5-4 victory against the Rampage Friday evening. Forward Matt Read recorded a three-point night (2g, 1a), with forwards Colton Beck, Gerry Mayhew and Dmitry Sokolov earning the other tallies. Goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen stopped 19 of 23 shots in the win.
- Since joining Iowa on Jan. 30, defenseman Michael Kapla has recorded four points in four games, including back-to-back games with multiple assists for the first time in his career.
- Forward Gerry Mayhew has 12 points (6g, 6a) since Jan. 18, fourth-most in the AHL during that stretch.
- Friday’s game marked the third time this season Iowa has scored three or more goals on the power play.
- Iowa has won each of its last three games that have required overtime.
- San Antonio’s road losing streak extended to five games with Friday’s defeat, the longest active streak in the AHL.
- Defenseman Niko Mikkola recorded his first career AHL goal against Iowa Friday night.
- Forward Sammy Blais is currently riding a three-game point streak and has 14 points (5g, 9a) in his last 12 games.
- San Antonio signed forward Mark Cooper to a PTO on Feb. 8.
The Iowa Wild 2018-19 season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.