GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD VS. TEXAS STARSDec 12, 2018
Iowa Wild (14-5-4-2; 34 pts.) vs. Texas Stars (12-9-1-1, 26 pts.)
Iowa Wild heads out to Texas for a three-game road trip, which starts with a Wednesday night contest against the Texas Stars, meeting for the first time since October. Iowa continues its best start in franchise history, as the team is in first place in the Central Division with 34 points. Texas ranks sixth in the division with 26 points.
The Wild defeated the Grand Rapids Griffins at Wells Fargo Arena by a score of 5-2 Saturday night, snapping the visitor’s nine-game point streak. Forwards Luke Kunin and Colton Beck recorded a three-point game each in the contest, while goaltender CJ Motte notched his first win of the season, stopping 22 of 24 shots. Forward Dmitry Sokolov also had a memorable night, recording two goals, including the first game-winner of his young career.
- Iowa currently has a nine-game road point streak, the longest streak in the AHL this season and tied for the longest streak in franchise history.
- Saturday’s contest against the Grand Rapids saw Iowa missing more than 1,650 career games from the lineup and marked the first time all season the team dressed 11 forwards and seven defensemen.
- The Wild’s .684 points percentage against the Central is the best mark within the division.
- Forward Luke Kunin has recorded six points in his last four games (3g, 3a) and was recalled by the Minnesota Wild on Dec. 9.
- Texas defeated the Milwaukee Admirals by a score of 3-2 on Dec. 7.
- Forward Erik Condra leads the team in points with 28 (11g, 17a) in 23 games.
- Rookie forward Joel L’Esperance paces all rookies in scoring with 23 points (12g, 11a) in 23 games.
- Texas’ plus-13 goal differential in the third period is tied with Iowa for the best in the league.
The Iowa Wild 2018-19 season is presented by Mercy Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.