GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD vs. TEXAS STARSOct 11, 2019
Iowa Wild (2-0-0-0; 4 pts.) vs. Texas Stars (0-2-0-0; 0 pts.)
Iowa continues its home stretch with the first of two games against the Texas Stars. Last season, the Wild just won one of eight contests against the Stars, the lone win coming in the second weekend of the 2018-19 campaign. Iowa is one of two teams with two wins in the Central Division, while the Stars are the lone team without a victory.
The Wild finished off its opening weekend with a 5-2 win against the Milwaukee Admirals, claiming the maximum of four possible points. Forward Brandon Duhaime logged his first professional goal and forward Gerry Mayhew tied his career high with three points (1g, 2a). Forwards Gabriel Dumont, Mitch McLain and Will Bitten also earned goals in the contest and goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen stopped 15 of 17 shots for his second consecutive win.
- Forward Kyle Rau played in his 300th professional game on Sunday against Milwaukee.
- Last season, Rau led the Wild in scoring against the Stars with five points (3g, 2a) in eight games.
- Forward Gerry Mayhew is tied for the league lead in points with four (2g, 2a) in two games.
- Iowa’s 27.3 percent on the power play is the highest among all teams with at least 10 extra-man opportunities.
- Texas has lost its first two games for the first time in team history.
- The Stars head into the contest with a seven-game win streak against the Wild and a three-game win streak at Wells Fargo Arena.
- Forwards Connor Bleackley and Adam Mascherin each lead the Stars with two points apiece.
- Last season, goaltender Jake Oettinger earned his first professional win against the Wild, stopping 23 of 24 shots in his AHL debut.
The Iowa Wild 2019-20 regular season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.