GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD AT CHICAGO WOLVESJan 4, 2020
Iowa Wild (19-12-2-2; 42 pts.) at Chicago Wolves (16-16-3-1; 36 pts.)
In a rematch of last week’s contest, Iowa heads to Chicago to take on the Wolves Saturday evening at Allstate Arena. Iowa currently sits in second place in the Central Division with 42 points while the Wolves are in third place with 36 points. Saturday’s contest marks the first road game of 2020 for Iowa and kicks off a five-game road trip.
Piggybacking off three first period goals and three power-play goals, the Wild roasted the Rockford IceHogs by a score of 5-1 Friday evening. Forward Gerry Mayhew notched his first career four-point game, recording two goals and two assists in the contest, while forward Sam Anas was credited with three helpers, the final being his 100th in the AHL. Forward Nico Sturm added two goals and forward Luke Johnson scored his fifth of the season as goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen stopped 29 of 30 shots.
- Iowa has scored first in its last five games, three of which have come within the first three minutes of the contest.
- Iowa’s power play is 7-for-10 in its last two games and 10-for-18 in its last four contests.
- Since Dec. 18, forwards Kyle Rau and Gerry Mayhew lead the AHL with 13 points and forward Sam Anas ranks second with 12.
- Since being reassigned on Dec. 16, goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen leads the AHL in minutes (425) and wins (six) and ranks second in saves (172).
- Iowa has scored exactly three goals in each of its last three outings against the Wolves.
- Chicago fell to the Texas Stars in overtime by a score of 2-1 Thursday night.
- Forward Lucas Elvenes leads all Chicago skaters with 31 points (7g, 24a) in 36 contests this year.
- Elvenes was named to the 2020 AHL All-Star Classic Central Division roster Friday afternoon.
- Goaltender Oscar Dansk was named the CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month for December, when he posted a 7-0-0 record with a 1.57 goals against average and a .943 save percentage.
The Iowa Wild 2019-20 regular season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.