GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD AT GRAND RAPIDS GRIFFINSJan 22, 2020
Iowa Wild (24-14-3-2; 53 pts.) at Grand Rapids Griffins (18-19-2-4; 42 pts.)
After a three-game homestand, Iowa takes a brief trip to Michigan to take on the Grand Rapids Griffins in a single-game road trek. Iowa is in second place in the Central Division with 53 points while Grand Rapids is in sixth place with 42 points. Iowa is 18-22-4-5 all-time against Grand Rapids, including a 10-12-0-2 record at Van Andel Arena.
The Wild earned the team’s seventh win when trailing after two periods as the team overcame two one-goal deficits en route to a 4-2 victory against the Texas Stars Monday afternoon. Forwards Kyle Bauman, Kyle Rau, JT Brown and Gerry Mayhew all scored in the third period of the contest, with goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen made 29 saves on 31 shots to earn the win.
- Iowa’s four goals in the third period Monday were the most in the final frame since Nov. 16, 2018 vs. Milwaukee.
- Forward Gerry Mayhew tied the franchise record for goals in a single season, which he set last season, with his 27th tally of the year in just his 35th game Monday.
- Mayhew, a Michigan native, has 16 points (11g, 5a) and a plus-10 rating in 16 games against the Griffins in his career.
- Goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen’s win Monday was his 32nd of his Iowa Wild career, tying Steve Michalek for the most by a netminder in team history.
- Iowa currently has a four-game win streak against Grand Rapids and at Van Andel Arena, the Wild sports a six-game win streak and seven-game point streak, having not lost in regulation in Michigan since Feb. 24, 2018.
- Grand Rapids lost in the shootout to the Belleville Senators by a score of 4-3 on Jan. 18.
- Forward Chris Terry leads the team with 40 points (16g, 24a) in 41 games this season.
- Grand Rapids has earned points in each of its last six contests, going 4-0-0-2 during that stretch.
- The Griffins’ current eight-game homestand is the longest of the season and second-longest in team history.
The Iowa Wild 2019-20 regular season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.