GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD AT GRAND RAPIDS GRIFFINSMar 11, 2020
Iowa Wild (37-17-4-4; 82 pts.) at Grand Rapids Griffins (28-27-3-4; 63 pts.)
Iowa closes out its six-game road trip with a contest against the Grand Rapids Griffins in the sixth and final meeting between these two clubs in the regular season. Despite Iowa being in second in the Central Division and Grand Rapids in third place, the two clubs are separated by 19 points, the largest gap between two immediate teams in the AHL. This season, Iowa is 4-0-0-1 against the Griffins with a 1-0-0-1 record at Van Andel Arena.
The Wild snapped a three-game winless streak with a 3-2 victory against the Manitoba Moose in a contest where forward Sam Anas set a new franchise record for points in a single season with a goal and an assist, bringing his total to 69 on the year, and defenseman Brennan Menell recorded his 100th AHL assist in the game as well. Goaltender Mat Robson earned his first win since Feb. 9, making 31 saves on 33 shots.
- Minnesota reassigned forward Gerry Mayhew to Iowa and Iowa recalled forward Mitch McLain from Allen on March 10.
- Mayhew, a Michigan native, has nine points (7g, 2a) in five games against the Griffins this season to lead the Wild and has 19 points (14g, 5a) in 18 career games against Grand Rapids.
- Iowa averages 3.18 goals per game with Mayhew in the lineup and 2.83 goals per game when he does not play.
- Iowa has a six-game overall point streak against Grand Rapids, going 5-0-0-1 during that stretch, and an eight-game point streak at Van Andel Arena, going 6-0-0-2 during that time frame.
- Iowa’s 37 victories tie a franchise record for most in a single season.
- Grand Rapids shut out the Rockford IceHogs by a score of 3-0 on March 7.
- Forward Chris Terry paces the Griffins with 51 points (21g, 30a) in 57 games this season.
- Of Grand Rapids’ 173 goals this season, 51 have come on the power play, good for 29.5 percent, the third-highest total in the AHL.
- All three of goaltender Calvin Pickard’s shutouts this season have come at Van Andel Arena.
The Iowa Wild 2019-20 regular season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.