GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD AT SAN DIEGO GULLSJan 10, 2020
Iowa Wild (21-12-2-2; 46 pts.) at San Diego Gulls (12-15-2-2; 28 pts.)
Iowa continues its five-game road trip with a contest against the San Diego Gulls Friday night. Iowa heads into the game on a four-game win streak and victories in eight of its last nine contests, while San Diego is currently in the midst of a five-game winless skid. Iowa presently is in second place in the Central Division with 46 points while San Diego is in sixth place in the Central Division with 28 points.
The Wild earned the team’s first victory ever at Pechanga Arena Wednesday night as Iowa defeated the Gulls by a score of 3-2. Forward Sam Anas recorded two goals in the contest and forward Mitch McLain tallied a score for the first time since October, who stood as the game-winner. Goaltender Mat Robson stopped 28 of 30 in the win.
- Goaltender Mat Robson made back to back starts for the first time since Dec. 10 and Dec. 14 and currently has a three-game win streak.
- Iowa is one of three teams in the AHL with 10-plus wins both at home and on the road (others: Milwaukee and Tucson).
- Iowa is one of three teams in the league with three skaters (Sam Anas, Gerry Mayhew and Kyle Rau) with 30-plus points this season (others: Tucson and Utica).
- Iowa ranks second in power-play opportunities in the AHL with 166, one shy of Tucson’s 167 for the lead.
- Forward Sam Carrick has a goal in four straight games and 12 in his last 13 AHL contests.
- San Diego’s penalty kill has not allowed a goal in each of its last 13 tries, a season-high for the club.
- The Gulls have scored 20 first goals this season, tied for the third-most in the AHL.
- San Diego has earned points in 31 of 41 contests against the Central Division in the team’s history.
The Iowa Wild 2019-20 regular season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.