GAME PREVIEW - IOWA WILD AT TEXAS STARSOct 17, 2021
Iowa Wild (1-0-0-0; 2 pts.) at Texas Stars (0-1-0-0; 0 pts.)
After shutting out the Stars 2-0 in the first game of the season, the Wild are once again facing off against Texas at the H-E-B Center at Cedar Park tonight. This matchup is the second of eight between the two Central Division foes.
The Stars hope to avoid starting the season 0-2. Goaltender Jake Oettinger made 32 saves in the opening night loss to Iowa, allowing just one goal. However, on special teams, the Texas powerplay unit struggled to get anything going, squandering multiple 5-on-3 opportunities and all seven powerplay chances.
- Wild goaltender Andrew Hammond (27 saves) earned his 15th career shutout in last night’s win.
- After leading the league in PIM’s last season, the Wild took and killed off seven penalties on Saturday.
- Kyle Rau’s first period goal was his 64th in an Iowa Wild uniform.
- Connor Dewar is tied for second in points amongst players who have played the same number of games.
- The Stars loss last night was their third loss to Iowa in the teams’ previous four meetings.
- Jake Oettinger’s .970 save percentage is good for fourth in the AHL.
- 14 different Stars recorded shots on net in Saturday night’s game.
- Texas has accumulated the 4th fewest penalty minutes of teams with at least one game played.
Following tonight’s game, the Wild travel back home where they are battling the Rockford IceHogs in the home opener at Wells Fargo Arena on Friday, October 22nd.
Iowa Wild hockey is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center. For more information, please visit www.iowawild.com.