GAME PREVIEW - IOWA WILD VS. GRAND RAPIDS GRIFFINSMar 27, 2021
Iowa Wild (4-9-2-0; 10 pts.) vs. Grand Rapids Griffins (8-3-2-0; 18 pts.)
The Wild and the Griffins collide for the second contest of the weekend Saturday night in Des Moines, Iowa. The first game of a four-game season series between Iowa and Grand Rapids belonged to the Griffins on Friday night at Wells Fargo Arena. The Wild fell 5-2 at the hands of the Griffins with notable performances from forwards Taro Hirose, Riley Barber and goaltender Kevin Boyle (27 saves). It was Iowa’s first loss to Grand Rapids since the Mar. 11, 2019 game at Van Andel Arena which was the final game of the AHL season for both clubs due to the season cancellation.
- Forward Jarrett Burton scored his first goal as a member of the Iowa Wild.
- Defenseman Keaton Thompson scored his first goal of the season.
- Forward Luke Johnson skated in his first AHL game of the season and recorded an assist and a fight.
- Forward Gerry Mayhew extended his point streak to four games with an assist.
GRAND RAPIDS REPORT
- Hirose netted a pair of goals and added an assist for a three-point performance.
- Barber contributed a goal and two assists for a three-point night.
- Defenseman Dylan McIlrath fought twice and was ejected from the contest for two fights in one game.
- The Griffins racked up 27 penalty minutes but only afforded Iowa one power play opportunity.
Iowa Wild hockey is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center. For more information, please visit www.iowawild.com.