GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD VS. MANITOBA MOOSE 10.5.18Oct 5, 2018
Iowa Wild kicks off the 2018-19 season with a two-game series against Manitoba Moose. Iowa completed the 2017-18 season with a 33-27-10-6 record and 82 points, resulting in a fifth-place finish within the Central Division. Manitoba ended 2017-18 with a 42-26-4-4 record and 92 points, finishing third in the Central. Iowa missed the Calder Cup Playoffs while Manitoba defeated Grand Rapids in the first round of playoffs before falling to Rockford.
The Wild shut out the Tucson Roadrunners by a score of 2-0 in the team’s final preseason game before starting the regular season. Goaltender C.J. Motte stopped 22 shots, earning the first star of the game. Iowa’s goals were scored by forwards Mitch McLain and Landon Ferraro.
- Tonight’s game marks the fifth time in its six seasons Iowa has started the season at home.
- The Wild have seven players who are new to the team for the 2018-19 season.
- Goaltender Andrew Hammond will appear in his 100th AHL game tonight.
- The team selected forward Cal O’Reilly as captain for the second consecutive season, making him the first repeat captain in team history. Forwards Mike Liambas and Matt Read were named alternate captains.
- During the offseason, Moose forward Mason Appleton was named the AHL’s top rookie and defenseman Sami Niku was named the AHL’s top defenseman.
- 2018-19 marks the fourth consecutive season Manitoba has started the season on the road.
- Tonight’s game is a rematch of the 2016-17 season opener, which Manitoba claimed a 3-2 victory at Wells Fargo Arena.
- Manitoba’s 92-point finish in 2017-18 was the highest point total in franchise history.
The Iowa Wild 2018-19 season is presented by Mercy Medical Center and runs from October through April. Iowa Wild’s Opening Night will take place on October 5. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.