GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD VS. MANITOBA MOOSEJan 24, 2020
Iowa Wild (24-14-3-3; 54 pts.) vs. Manitoba Moose (20-24-0-0; 40 pts.)
Iowa will take on the Manitoba Moose in the final two contests before the AHL All-Star Break to begin nine-straight games at home for the Wild. Heading into Friday’s contest, Iowa sits in second place in the Central Division with 54 points while Manitoba is in seventh place with 40 points. The meeting will be the third of the season for the two clubs and the first in 2019-20 at Wells Fargo Arena.
The Wild lost in the shootout to the Grand Rapids Griffins by a score of 4-3 Wednesday night. Forward Gerry Mayhew scored his league-leading 28th and 29th tallies in the contest, with forward Sam Anas earning the other score. Goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen made a season-high 43 saves on 46 shots in the loss.
- Forward Gerry Mayhew’s first goal Wednesday set a new franchise record for goals in a single season, breaking the mark he set during the 2018-19 campaign.
- Mayhew’s 29 goals heading into the All-Star Weekend is the most by an AHL skater since Alexandre Giroux’s 34 in 2009 with Hershey.
- Defenseman Brennan Menell earned his 100th career point with an assist Wednesday night.
- Iowa ranks first in the AHL in wins when allowing the first goal with 13.
- Manitoba routed the Laval Rocket by a score of 5-1 on Jan. 19.
- Forward Seth Griffith leads the Moose in scoring with 32 points (18g, 14a) in 41 games.
- Rookie goaltender Mikhail Berdin leads all AHL netminders with 18 wins this season.
- Manitoba is the only team in the league to be undefeated in games that go past regulation.
The Iowa Wild 2019-20 regular season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.