GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD vs. ONTARIO REIGNJan 18, 2019
Iowa Wild (21-12-4-3; 49 pts.) vs. Ontario Reign (11-17-4-2, 28 pts.)
Iowa and Ontario face off for the first time in the 2018-19 season with a contest Friday evening at Wells Fargo Arena. The Wild currently are in second place in the Central Division with 49 points, while the Reign are in last place in the Pacific Division with 28 points. Iowa is 1-2-0-1 all-time against the Reign, with the team’s lone win coming in Des Moines.
The Wild snapped a four-game losing streak while extending its home winning streak to five games when the team defeated the San Diego Gulls by a score of 3-2 in overtime. Forward Kyle Rau netted all three goals for the Wild for the team’s third hat trick of the season, while goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen stopped 28 of 30 shots in the win.
- The Wild’s three hat tricks in the 2018-19 season set a new franchise high.
- Iowa’s five-game home winning streak is tied for the longest of the season and tied for the longest in franchise history.
- Iowa’s 15 overtime games and 23 overtime points are the most in the AHL.
- Minnesota traded forward Justin Kloos to Anaheim for forward Pontus Aberg on Jan. 16.
- Iowa recalled defenseman Josh Thrower from the Allen Americans on Jan. 18.
- Ontario fell to the Stockton Heat by a score of 6-5 in overtime on Jan. 12.
- Forward Matt Moulson leads all Reign skaters with 27 points (12g, 15a) in 34 games.
- Former Wild player Zack Mitchell will appear in his first game at Wells Fargo Arena since leaving the organization.
- Defenseman Austin Strand notched a career-best three points (1g, 2a) against Stockton Dec. 12.
The Iowa Wild 2018-19 season is presented by Mercy Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.