GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD VS. SAN JOSE BARRACUDAJan 18, 2020
Iowa Wild (22-14-3-2; 49 pts.) vs. San Jose Barracuda (14-20-0-2; 30 pts.)
Iowa and San Jose will rematch Saturday evening in the last meeting between the two teams at Wells Fargo Arena for the 2019-20 season. Iowa heads into the contest second in the Central Division with 49 points while San Jose is in last place in the Pacific Division with 30 points. All-time, Iowa is 3-2-1-1 against San Jose, including a 2-1-0-1 record in Des Moines.
The Wild took a 1-0 lead late in the second period against the Barracuda Friday night but ultimately fell to San Jose by a score of 3-1. Forward Dmitry Sokolov scored the lone goal for the Wild, his ninth of the season. Goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen stopped 27 of 29 shots in the loss.
- Forward Mason Shaw made his 2019-20 debut Friday night against San Jose after missing the first 40 games of the season with a knee injury.
- Forward Dmitry Sokolov is currently on a four-game point streak, tied for the longest such streak of his career.
- Iowa has allowed eight third-period goals in its last three games.
- Iowa signed defenseman Turner Ottenbreit to a PTO on Jan. 17.
- Friday’s contest marked the first time this season San Jose played a team outside its division.
- Defenseman Trevor Carrick has recorded nine points (3g, 6a) in his last six games.
- Rookie Nikolai Knyzhov earned his first professional point with an assist against the Wild Friday evening.
- Forward Jeffrey Viel logged his first career multi-goal game Friday night.
The Iowa Wild 2019-20 regular season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.