GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD VS. TEXAS STARS 10.20.18Oct 20, 2018
Iowa Wild (3-1-0-0; 6 pts.) vs. Texas Stars (3-1-1-1; 8 pts.)
Iowa Wild closes out three consecutive games against the Texas Stars with a Saturday night showdown in Cedar Park. The meeting will be the last time the two sides do battle until December down in Texas.
The Wild experienced its first loss of the season when Texas defeated Iowa 5-4 Friday evening in a game that featured a combined seven goals in the third period. Forward Mike Liambas extended his consecutive goal streak to three games, the longest of his career, in the loss, while forwards Cal O’Reilly, Kyle Rau and Luke Kunin also registered tallies.
- Forward Cal O’Reilly recorded a three-point game against Texas, the most he’s scored in a game since a four-point outing on Jan. 12, 2018 against Milwaukee.
- Defenseman Ryan Murphy extended his point streak to four games, his longest since a five-game point streak from Feb. 21 – April 15, 2016.
- Goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen will make his professional and North American debut tonight in net.
- Iowa has recorded 10 third period goals this season, which ranks third among all AHL teams.
- The Wild’s power play sits at 33.3%, the third-best mark in the league.
- Iowa is averaging five goals per game, the most of any team in the AHL.
- Texas has recorded six power-play goals in its last two games.
- Eight of the Stars’ 12 third period goals have come in the last two games.
- Forward Joel L’Esperance ranks fifth among AHL rookies in points with seven (4g, 3a) in six games.
- Gurianov’s four-game goal streak is the longest of his career.
- Texas has earned points in its last three games against Iowa.
The Iowa Wild 2018-19 season is presented by Mercy Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.