GAME PREVIEW – IOWA WILD vs. TEXAS STARSOct 12, 2019
Iowa Wild (3-0-0-0; 6 pts.) vs. Texas Stars (0-2-0-1; 1 pts.)
Iowa closes out its four-game homestand with a Saturday evening contest against the Texas Stars in the second game of a back-to-back. Iowa heads into the game on a three-game win streak, just the second time in team history the Wild have won three consecutive games to start the season. Iowa is currently first in the Central Division with six points, while the Stars are in sixth place with one.
For the third consecutive game, Iowa came from behind to win, defeating Texas in the shootout by a score of 5-4. Forward Gerry Mayhew netting the game-tying goal with just 50 seconds remaining before scoring in the shootout to clinch the victory. Forwards Will Bitten and Mike Liambas also scored in the contest and forward Nico Sturm recorded his first professional goal in the game. Wild goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen stopped 26 of 30 shots in the game and made two of three saves in the shootout.
- Forward Sam Anas will appear in his 200th AHL game today.
- Goaltender Mat Robson will make his first professional start Saturday evening.
- Forward Gerry Mayhew is tied for the league lead in points with five (3g, 2a) in two games.
- Mayhew is the only Wild player and only one of nine across the league to record a point in each of his first three contests.
- Forward Denis Gurianov netted his second career hat trick Friday against the Wild.
- Gurianov’s hat trick was the first of the 2019-20 AHL Season.
- Forward Tanner Kero notched his first-career three-assist game Friday against Iowa.
- Texas has earned points in each of its last 10 games against the Wild, going 8-0-0-2 during that stretch.
The Iowa Wild 2019-20 regular season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.