Dec 13, 2017

GRAND RAPIDS,  MI - Iowa Wild (12-8-5-1; 30 pts.) let a three-goal lead slip away in an eventual 4-3 shootout defeat to the host Grand Rapids Griffins (10-13-0-3; 23 pts.) on Wednesday night.

Wild forward Justin Kloos (1g, 2a) registered his first professional three-point effort in the club’s first shootout loss of the season. Despite the setback, Iowa hasn’t lost in regulation in its last six games (2-0-3-1), and the team also boasts a six-game road point streak, which is tied for the second-longest streak in the AHL this season.

Just under five minutes into the opening period, the Wild took a 1-0 lead on Sam Anas’ fifth goal of the season. Kloos gathered the only assist as Anas finished off a two-on-one rush down the left wing side, snapping a shot short side and past Griffins goaltender Jared Coreau (25 saves).

The visitors took a 2-0 lead at 14:09 of the stanza as Kloos got to a favorable bounce in the Griffins slot and slipped a pass to winger Gerry Mayhew, who was wide open to the left of Coreau. Mayhew, a Michigan native, was able to bang home his sixth tally of the campaign, four of which have come in the last six outings.

After 20 minutes, the Wild led, 2-0.

Kloos extended the club’s lead to 3-0, connecting on a power play 2:17 into the second period. His seventh goal of the season was set up by forwards Kyle Rau and Sam Anas. The goal marked the fourth-straight game where Iowa’s man advantage found the back of the net.

The Griffins scored the final two goals of the frame, however, as defenseman Brian Lashoff fired a shot over the left shoulder of Wild goaltender Niklas Svedberg (40 saves) to put Grand Rapids on the board.  The even-strength goal was assisted by forwards Eric Tangradi and Matthew Ford.

With the second period winding down, Grand Rapids pulled within one goal on Ben Street’s first of the night. After winger Tyler Bertuzzi created a turnover, Street gathered a loose puck in the Wild slot before spinning towards the cage and beating Svedberg five-hole for his second marker of the season.

Through two periods the Wild led 3-2, but the shots favored the Griffins 22-17.

Street’s second of the night tied the game at the 7:33 mark of the third period as he converted a five-on-three power play for the home side. From the right circle, Street’s shot appeared to deflect off a body in front and beat Svedberg past his glove side. Ford got his second assist on the play, while defenseman Vili Saarijarvi drew the other helper.

There was no scoring in overtime and the Griffins claimed the shootout 1-0, as Street was the only player to score for either side. The final shots favored the Griffins, 44-28. Each team finished the contest with one power-play goal.

The Wild continues its five-game road trip in Milwaukee on Friday at 7 p.m. Central.

Back to All