GAME PREVIEW - IOWA WILD VS. TEXAS STARSFeb 4, 2021
Iowa Wild (0-0-0-0; 0 pts.) vs. Texas Stars (0-0-0-0; 0 pts.)
It’s been awhile… 311 days to be exact. The longest stretch without a game in Iowa Wild history. The wait is up tonight as the Iowa Wild welcome the Texas Stars to Wells Fargo Arena for the opening night of AHL action in the long-awaited 2020-21 campaign. Tonight marks the first of 12 total games Texas and Iowa will play against each other this season, with an even split of six home games and six road games.
LAST SEASON’S SERIES
The Wild and Stars dueled eight times last season and the winning margins were razor-thin. Iowa bested Texas with a record of 4-3-0-1, which included five of eight games being decided by only one goal.
- The last Iowa Wild game was on Mar. 11, 2020, a 4-1 loss at Grand Rapids.
- Iowa starts the 2020-21 season without their top six scorers from last season.
- Forwards Gerry Mayhew, Kyle Rau, Nico Sturm and Luke Johnson are currently with Minnesota.
- Forward Sam Anas signed in the offseason with the St. Louis Blues.
- Brennan Menell signed in the KHL in Russia with HC Dinamo Minsk.
- Iowa could have nine professional debuts in tonight’s game, based on lineup (Defensemen Fedor Gordeev, Daemon Hunt and Ryan O’Rourke; forwards Adam Beckman, Shane Boudrias, Mitchell Chaffee, Damien Giroux, Josh Maser and goaltender Hunter Jones).
- Dmitrii Sokolov is the Wild’s returning scorer from last season (9g-13a-22pts in 62 GP)
- Louie Belpedio, Gabriel Dumont, Cody McLeod and Mason Shaw were recently named alternate captains for the 2020-21 season.
- Texas’ last AHL game was also on Mar. 11, 2020, a 3-1 loss at Colorado.
- Stars return only three of their top nine scorers from the 2019-20 roster.
- Anthony Louis leads all returners in 2019-20 scoring (10g-11a-21pts in 46 GP)
- Forward Cole Schneider was recently named team captain of the Stars for 2020-21.
- Six Texas players could make their professional debuts in tonight’s contest.
Iowa Wild hockey is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center. For more information, please visit www.iowawild.com.